||8.96" l x 5.96" w x 0.52"
Grounded in real-life stories, Art Collecting Today is the essential practical guide to today's art market. A lightly regulated industry with more than sixty billion dollars of annual sales, the art market is often opaque and confusing to even the most experienced collectors. But whether a seasoned collector, an uninitiated newcomer, or an art-world insider, readers will learn within these pages how the art marketplace works in practice and how to navigate it smartly. Those who may have been put off by art-world practices will finally feel they have the knowledge needed to participate freely and fully, and collectors will be able to pursue their passion with more confidence.
Important topics covered include:
• How to evaluate, buy, and sell art while avoiding costly mistakes and time-consuming roadblocks
• How the market works in practice for essential artists like René Magritte, Christopher Wool, Amedeo Modigliani, and Yayoi Kusama
• How collectors can be taken advantage of, and the actions they should take to protect themselves
• Why tax laws in the United States reward "art investors" yet penalize "art collectors"
• How cultural property laws impact the market for works by such artists as Frida Kahlo and Andy Warhol
• Advice for new and prospective collectors